What is Secondary Liver Cancer?
In This Article
Secondary liver cancer is a type of liver cancer where the cancer cells have developed elsewhere in the person’s body and then have the ability to metastasize towards the liver.
Liver is known to be the largest organ in the human body and it is normally located in the right portion of the abdomen. Secondary liver cancer is often metastatic in nature. Statistically it is more common than the primary liver cancer.
People with secondary liver cancer will experience any of the following symptoms:
- Weight loss
- Lack of Appetite
- Pain in the uppermost abdomen or in the right shoulder
- Swelling of the abdomen brought about by building up of the fluids
The treatment for people who are diagnosed with secondary liver cancer will include:
It is aimed at the removal of the damaged and cancerous cells. This is often the main kind of treatment for secondary liver cancer.
This uses x-rays that target and kill the cells that are cancerous. It will also relieve discomfort and pain.
This is a medication that is injected into one’s body. It is part of the main treatment for this type of liver cancer.
Alternative and complementary therapies
This is often the last option for persons with secondary liver cancer. It is often used for conventional cancer.
This makes use of the monoclonal antibodies and cancer growth inhibitors, which will target the immune system and attack the cancerous cells.
The prognosis depends greatly on how much the area is affected or how much the cancer has spread. It is also depends on the stage of the liver cancer.
Survival Rate & Life Expectancy
According to studies, the survival rate for someone with secondary liver cancer is poor. They are expected to have a life expectancy of 6 months to a year.
There is a short life expectancy due to the fact that options for treatment is limited. However, this statistic does not apply to all people with secondary liver cancer.
- Stage 4 Liver Cancer (End Stage) – Life Expectancy, Survival Rate
- Stage 4 Pancreatic Cancer – Symptoms, Survival Rate, Life expectancy
- Neuroendocrine Cancer – Symptoms, Treatment, Prognosis, Survival Rate
- Spinal Cancer – Symptoms, Prognosis, Survival Rate, Life Expectancy
- Leiomyosarcoma – Survival Rate, Symptoms, Prognosis, Treatment
- Appendix Cancer – Symptoms, Survival Rate, Prognosis, Treatment,
- Duodenal Cancer – Symptoms, Prognosis, Survival Rate and Treatment